Physical block structure in PostgreSQL

From: "Spendius" <spendius(at)muchomail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Physical block structure in PostgreSQL
Date: 2006-07-13 09:37:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
I found no description of the way the records of a table are physically

stored in files with PostgreSQL. I said "block structure" in my subject

but actually is there any such thing as a block ?
(I read the pages
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/storage.html
and saw things regarding files and "pages" that are "usually 8k"-big
etc. but
saw no further info about "blocks" - they speak of "items" here: what
is it ?)

Thanks.
Spendius