Re: pg_upgrade failing for 200+ million Large Objects

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kumar, Sachin" <ssetiya(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Jacob Champion <champion(dot)p(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jan Wieck <jan(at)wi3ck(dot)info>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade failing for 200+ million Large Objects
Date: 2023-11-09 18:41:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[ Jacob's email address updated ]

"Kumar, Sachin" <ssetiya(at)amazon(dot)com> writes:
> Hi Everyone , I want to continue this thread , I have rebased the patch to latest
> master and fixed an issue when pg_restore prints to file.

Um ... you didn't attach the patch?

FWIW, I agree with Jacob's concern about it being a bad idea to let
users of pg_upgrade pass down arbitrary options to pg_dump/pg_restore.
I think we'd regret going there, because it'd hugely expand the set
of cases pg_upgrade has to deal with.

Also, pg_upgrade is often invoked indirectly via scripts, so I do
not especially buy the idea that we're going to get useful control
input from some human somewhere. I think we'd be better off to
assume that pg_upgrade is on its own to manage the process, so that
if we need to switch strategies based on object count or whatever,
we should put in a heuristic to choose the strategy automatically.
It might not be perfect, but that will give better results for the
pretty large fraction of users who are not going to mess with
weird little switches.