Re: Database connectivity using a unix shell

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Jasbinder Bali <jsbali(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database connectivity using a unix shell
Date: 2006-06-29 15:33:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 10:24, Jasbinder Bali wrote:
> Hi
> I need to connect to the postgres database using my unix shell.
> How should i go about it?
> Is libpq going to be helpful here?

There is a shell interface for postgresql called psql.

If you have postgresql installed on a box, then the psql interface
should be there.

If you need to access postgresql from within a bash script, you can do
so with a construct kinda like this:

query="select * from sometable";
a=`echo $query|psql -tq dbname`;

do a psql --help to get a list of options for psql. -t means print only
the rows, no headers, and -q means to only display query output, no
messages or warnings.