password authentication failed (postgresql v8.1.4)

From: Andrea Gozzi <andrea(dot)gozzi(at)linuxrevolution(dot)eu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: password authentication failed (postgresql v8.1.4)
Date: 2006-06-17 11:41:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi.
I have been upgrading my PG server from version 7.4 (debian sarge
binary) to v8.1.4 (source installation).
The installation procedure went fine but I can't log into the database
with another role/user than 'postgres'.
This is my pg_hba.conf, that I was succesfully using with v7.4:

# Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
local all postgres ident sameuser

# All other connections by UNIX sockets
local all all ident md5

# All IPv4 connections from localhost
host all admin 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 md5
host all bdati 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 md5

The remote pgAdmin3 obviously doesn't work and neither does the psql
command if I try to login with 'admin' or 'bdati'.
Users have been created with

CREATE ROLE admin WITH PASSWORD 'xxx' SUPERUSER;
CREATE ROLE bdati WITH PASSWORD 'xxx' CREATEDB;

It's probably one of the dumbest questions but I really can't sort it
out.

Thanks

Andrea

--
Andrea Gozzi <andrea(dot)gozzi(at)linuxrevolution(dot)eu>