Re: Fabian Pascal and RDBMS deficiencies in fully

From: dananrg(at)yahoo(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fabian Pascal and RDBMS deficiencies in fully
Date: 2006-06-09 16:54:56
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Lots of great conversation here. Thanks to all for participating.

David, you wrote:
>Be aware that Pascal, along with Date and Darwen, are...how do I put
>this gently...cranks. They've been getting more strident and
>irrational as the decades go by.

I can't speak to that statement directly. Indirectly, however, the
sources Pascal cites in the body of the text (if I had to guess, and I
do because I'm too lazy to count them all) seem to be ~90% works by
C.J. Date. So it seems chiefly to be a distillation of Date's ideas,
e.g. potentially a cloistered treatise.

Is Pascal an academic who doesn't have real world knowledge gained from
having logically and physically designed, then brought to production,
monitored, refined, and tuned databases, and has answered to end users,
for a wide variety of customers and projects?

His book's subtitle is: "A Reference for the Thinking Practitioner."
If he is not himself a practitioner out there in the trenches, doing
the best with whatever technology presently exists, then I'm slightly
less interested in what he has to say, although I appreciate what he's
trying to do. But I don't want to dwell on the OUGHT in terms of future
technology; I want to dwell on the IS. Pleas that we ought to demand
better technology are all to the good -

Is there a good book out there about DB design written *by* real-world
practitioners, *for* real-world practitioners that addresses Pascal and
Date's concerns, yet focuses on the technology we have to live with
today? Something vendor-neutral if possible.

Dana