Re: A quick question on CONTRIB package

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Ramakrishna Reddy <ramakrishna(dot)reddy(at)indussoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A quick question on CONTRIB package
Date: 2006-05-31 17:35:21
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 06:47, Ramakrishna Reddy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to connect to remote databases using Dblink. Our existing version is 7.2.1 on Windows and please point me the location of this package where I can download from and the installation procedure.

You should REALLY REALLY REALLY consider upgrading to at least version
8.0.8, if not 8.1.4.

7.2 is, in general not supported. The windows port, in particular, has
no support whatsoever. It has known data eating bugs and the dreaded
transaction wraparound bug in particular.

Also, by updating to 8.0.8 or 8.1.4 you should get the dblink package as
a matter of course, I believe. A windows user would have to confirm
that for me though. But seriously, if you value your data, updated from
7.2.1 as soon as humanly possible