Re: Restoring databases from a different installment on Windows

From: "Berislav Lopac" <berislav(dot)lopac(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restoring databases from a different installment on Windows
Date: 2006-05-31 07:26:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Yes it should work. There should be a recovery if postgres was running when
> the boc crashed.
> Note, you don't want to copy files out from under a running server to do
> backups. That won't work.

Actually, my situation is like this:

I had a properly running version of Postgres when my Windows crashed. I
Installed a fresh copy on Windows on another disk, and then Postgres on
top of it. Then I started the system from the new Windows, stopped the
Postgres service and copied the data directory from the old system to
the new one, but Postgres service refused to start.

So it was not some kind of a backup copy, it was a regular directory of
another installation.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Berislav