Re: file-locking and postmaster.pid

From: korry <korry(at)appx(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: file-locking and postmaster.pid
Date: 2006-05-25 12:35:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> That's not workable, unless you want to assume that nothing on the
> system except Postgres uses SysV semaphores. Otherwise something else
> could randomly gobble up the semid you want to use. I don't care very
> much for requiring a distinct semid to be hand-specified for each
> postmaster on a machine, either.

Yeah, that does suck. Ok, naming problems seem to make semaphores
useless.

I'm back to byte-range locking, but if NFS is important and is truly
unreliable, then that's out too.

I've never had locking problems on NFS (probably because we tell our
users not to use NFS), but now that I think about it, SMB locking is
very unreliable so Win32 would be an issue too.

-- Korry