Re: error-free disabling of individual child partition

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, April Lorenzen <outboundindex(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: error-free disabling of individual child partition
Date: 2006-05-23 09:51:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 09:49 +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD wrote:
> > > table of another table. I propose a TODO item to allow this:
> > >
> > > ALTER TABLE childN INHERITS ( parent1, ... );
>
> > > We don't need a disinherit do we?
>
> I propose: ALTER TABLE childN INHERITS ();
> Thus I also think, that the list should be complete, and is not an
> addition
> to existing inheritance.

Sounds good; an absolute rather than a relative approach. Avoids new
keywords.

Implementation is simpler too:
- check that we have all required merged attributes (if any)
- remove any inheritance that isn't on the list

If the table is already INHERITS (x) and we specify INHERITS (x) then
its a no-op that returns success.

> > O, yes, I think we do. I can imagine that the ability to swap a table
>
> Agreed. Simon, were you testing how many ppl read to the end :-)

Just seeing who cared. DROP TABLE removes inheritance too, in a Keyser
Soze manner.

--
Simon Riggs