New feature proposal

From: Marc Munro <marc(at)bloodnok(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New feature proposal
Date: 2006-05-19 00:39:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Veil http://pgfoundry.org/projects/veil is currently not a very good
Postgres citizen. It steals what little shared memory it needs from
postgres' shared memory using ShmemAlloc().

For Postgres 8.2 I would like Veil to be a better citizen and use only
what shared memory has been reserved for postgres add-ins.

So, I would like to propose:
1) that a new shared memory area for add-ins be created
2) that it should be accessible only to add-ins specifically requesting
its use
3) that the size of this add-in memory be controlled through a new GUC
setting

If this proposal is acceptable, I'd like some suggestions for naming the
GUC. If not we will be stuck with add_in_shmem, specified in Kbytes.

My expectation is that this would be a very small change and one that I
am probably competent to make myself, with a little review from my
friends.

__
Marc