Re: Inheritance, Primary Keys and Foreign Keys

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: Albert Cervera Areny <albertca(at)hotpop(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inheritance, Primary Keys and Foreign Keys
Date: 2006-05-13 20:46:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ühel kenal päeval, N, 2006-05-11 kell 23:28, kirjutas Albert Cervera
Areny:
> Of course, that's an option for my case. Just wanted to know if this solution
> could be useful for PostgreSQL in general. Mainly because I'll add some
> triggers to check what maybe PostgreSQL should do itself but it's
> unimplemented.
>
> If that's not interesting or a proper solution for PostgreSQL I'll add it
> using the existing DDL in my application and that's all.
>
> What do you think?
>
> A Tuesday 09 May 2006 21:43, Simon Riggs va escriure:
> > On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 01:20 +0200, Albert Cervera Areny wrote:
> > > In my particular case (don't know about the SQL standard or other
> > > cases), it'd be enough if when an inherited table is created:
> > > - A primary key in the inherited table is created with the same columns
> > > as the super table.

This is the simple part.

> > > - A trigger is created in the new table that ensures that this primary
> > > key doesn't exist in the super table.

This grows very expensive fast, once you have more thean one inherited
table

> > > - A trigger is created in the super table that ensures that this primary
> > > key doesn't exist in it's sub tables.

Ditto

--
Hannu Krosing

Skype me: callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free: http://www.skype.com

NOTICE: This communication contains privileged or other confidential
information. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender
by reply email and immediately delete the message and any attachments
without copying or disclosing the contents.