Re: adding tab completions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Arthur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Edmund Horner <ejrh00(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: adding tab completions
Date: 2018-09-21 19:29:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> The main thing that is bothering me about the remainder is its desire
> to offer single-punctuation-character completions such as "(". I do
> not see the point of that. You can't select a completion without
> typing at least one character, so what does it accomplish to offer
> those options, except clutter?

Actually, after poking at it for awhile, I noticed there was a much bigger
problem: tests like

else if (HeadMatches2("VACUUM", "("))

would continue to fire even if the option list was complete, so that
after typing say

vacuum ( verbose )

you would not get offered any table names, only option names.

I experimented with various fixes for that, but the only one that
worked required extending word_matches() to allow a wildcard in the
middle of a pattern. (Before it only allowed one at the end; but
it takes just a couple more lines of code to improve that.) With
that, we can do

else if (HeadMatches2("VACUUM", "(*") &&
!HeadMatches2("VACUUM", "(*)"))

and this test will not trigger if the option list is complete.

I've gone ahead and pushed it with those changes.