Re: BEGIN inside transaction should be an error

From: Mike Benoit <ipso(at)snappymail(dot)ca>
To: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BEGIN inside transaction should be an error
Date: 2006-05-10 16:23:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

I would suggest the guy simply use the popular ADODB package for his
database abstraction layer so he can make use of its "Smart Transaction"
feature.

http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/docs-adodb.htm#ex11

<quote>
Lastly, StartTrans/CompleteTrans is nestable, and only the outermost
block is executed. In contrast, BeginTrans/CommitTrans/RollbackTrans is
NOT nestable.

$conn->StartTrans();
$conn->Execute($sql);
$conn->StartTrans(); # ignored <--------------
if (!CheckRecords()) $conn->FailTrans();
$conn->CompleteTrans(); # ignored <--------------
$conn->Execute($Sql2);
$conn->CompleteTrans();
</quote>

The commands marked "ignored" aren't really ignored, since it keeps
track of what level the transactions are nested to, and won't actually
commit the transaction until the StartTrans() calls == CompleteTrans()
calls.

Its worked great for me for many years now.

--
Mike Benoit <ipso(at)snappymail(dot)ca>