Re: database size grows (even after vacuum (full and

From: Joao Miguel Ferreira <jmf(at)estg(dot)ipvc(dot)pt>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database size grows (even after vacuum (full and
Date: 2006-05-08 13:56:25
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Hi Tom and all,

> I wrote that on my original e-mail: I do a "VACUUM ANALYZE" every 30
> > minutes and a "VACUUM FULL" every 2 hours.
>
> That's not a good maintenance procedure. Just do the plain vacuums and
> forget the VACUUM FULL. If the table row count is fairly stable then
> plain vacuums are all you need. I suspect VACUUM FULL is making things
> worse not better --- it'll compact the tables, but at the price of
> bloating the indexes.
>
> You might want to pay some attention to exactly where the space is
> disappearing to --- which files are getting bigger?

Sorry for the long silence. I've been making experiments and reading
about all of this. The 'data' directory is the one growing in size.

> If you find you are suffering from index bloat, a very occasional
> REINDEX (maybe once a week or less) will fix that, but VACUUM FULL
> won't help it at all. I wouldn't recommend doing this unless
> proven necessary, however.

I've checked (and read about) REINDEX and applied it. Nevertheless I
still get a litlle continuous growth (about 200Bytes/minute) in the
'data' directory. I must say: REINDEX causes a sudden drop in filesystem
usage but (about 30 minutes later) size returns to where it droped and
continues growing.

What would you say I'dd do next ?

thx
jmf

PS: this problem brought me to an excelent book about Pg. I'm suprised
with the great things I didn't know about Pg...