How do you handle shared memory corruption issues? (contrib/xml2)

From: CG <cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: postgresql listserv <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How do you handle shared memory corruption issues? (contrib/xml2)
Date: 2007-06-27 16:02:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Postgresql 8.1

I made a simple modification to contrib/xml2 to include the ability to process exslt tags... On the production side, the postmaster crashes when I try to process my exslt stylesheet. On my development machine, everything runs without crashing. There's a number of differences there... There's little or no load. It has far less memory, and its PostgreSQL memory configuration reflects that. It has a different processor (P4 versus x86_64 on production). There are other differences at the compiler and library level I'm sure. Any of these things could be contributing to the crashes.

They are both using the same version of PsotgreSQL, compiled with the same options. They are both using the same version of libxml2 and libxslt.

Incidently, I installed the Perl bindings for libxml2 and libxslt. I created a plperlu function which uses those libraries to do the xml transformations. It blows up in the same way.

So, I suspect that there is an issue with libxslt, but I have no idea how to nail it down. Please advise...

I'm up against a deadline, so my main goal is to get this working. Timelines and paychecks being as they are, I'm not nearly as concerned about fixing the larger problem. Is there a different way to process xml and (e)xslt at the database not using contrib/xml2 or XML::LibXSLT ?