Postgresql 8.1.3 Debian installation encoding question

From: Joost Kraaijeveld <J(dot)Kraaijeveld(at)Askesis(dot)nl>
To: Debian users <debian-user(at)lists(dot)debian(dot)org>, Pgsql-Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgresql 8.1.3 Debian installation encoding question
Date: 2006-03-25 19:23:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I was forced to reinstall PostgreSQL 8.1.3 on my Debian machine, using
the deb installation files. I used to have UTF8 or LATIN1 encoding for
the postgres, template0 and template1 databases (can't remember which
one I actualy had :-( ). But after my reinstallation I suddenly had
SQL_ASII as (default) encoding.

How can I change that? Why did the Debian encoding change? Can I still
use the Debian deb files or must I manually initdb PostgreSQL?

TIA

Joost