Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Proposals -- Important Update

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Anniversary Proposals -- Important Update
Date: 2006-03-19 00:20:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Ühel kenal päeval, L, 2006-03-18 kell 12:38, kirjutas Rod Taylor:

> This will, presumably, be a very PostgreSQL friendly group so a sales
> pitch isn't really required.
>
> How about the opposite? Tom Lanes list of areas that PostgreSQL does a
> poor job and a detailed explanation as to how that design decision or
> limitation came about as well as what can (or cannot) be done to fix it.
> In short, tell us why the hammer of PostgreSQL makes a bad screw driver.

Yup. My own ideas for a proposal have mostly revolved aroud topic "Why
postgresql sucks", and how to persuade the core to both understand the
issues and accept solutions for fixing these.

That means discussing areas where there is much room for improvement:

1) OLTP

2) 24/7

3) OLAP

I have written code (mutually non-blocking vacuum) and proposals on
lists (online index creation, archive tables) which would probably help
a lot in each of these areas, once developers start believing that
actual problems exist ;).

And of course one will always want better introspaction into the
backends.

-------
Hannu