Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hans-J?rgen Sch?nig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, eg(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...
Date: 2006-03-08 15:56:21
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 08:16 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> If all you were doing with the view was reading from it then sure...
> Creating the rules for all the views you want to make them updatable
> wouldn't be fun.

Well, updateable views are on the TODO list: expending our finite
development resources implementing those would add plainly useful
functionality and improve our conformance with the SQL standard, neither
of which can be said about synonyms.

> It'd be nice to be able to support them in Postgres without
> having to go through alot of work.

I'm still unconvinced that this feature would be sufficiently useful to
justify the maintenance burden, in addition to the added complexity:
even if it is implemented in a way that imposes minimal *runtime*
overhead, new features add complexity: introducing a bunch of new DDL
commands and a new concept ("synonyms") makes the system more difficult
for users to understand.

-Neil