Re: constraints and sql92 information_schema compliance

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: "Clark C(dot) Evans" <cce(at)clarkevans(dot)com>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: constraints and sql92 information_schema compliance
Date: 2006-02-25 21:50:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 16:35 -0500, Clark C. Evans wrote:

> | > Err... what version are you using? I get constraint names like tt_a_fkey
> | > from devel, and I thought at least 8.1 does the same.
>
> 7.4.8, so it's a bit old -- glad to hear this made it!

> | > I don't understand which particular case you're complaining about, but as
> | > far as I can see, we have to allow that case by the rest of the spec.
>
> To be clear, I'm talking about...
>
> CREATE TABLE x (y text, z text, PRIMARY KEY(y,z));
> CREATE TABLE a (b text, c text);
> ALTER TABLE a ADD FOREIGN KEY (b, c) REFERENCES x(z, y);
>
> For this case, the information schema details:
>
> 1. the foreign key constraint as a reference to the
> primary key constraint and lists the tuple (b,c)
>
> 2. the primary key constraint lists the keys (y,z)

I'm afraid I don't follow what the issue is.

Can out point it out in the below psql output?

k=# CREATE TABLE x (y text, z text, PRIMARY KEY(y,z));
NOTICE: CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "x_pkey"
for table "x"
CREATE TABLE
k=# CREATE TABLE a (b text, c text);
CREATE TABLE
k=# ALTER TABLE a ADD FOREIGN KEY (b, c) REFERENCES x(z, y);
ALTER TABLE
k=# \d x
Table "public.x"
Column | Type | Modifiers
--------+------+-----------
y | text | not null
z | text | not null
"x_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (y, z)

k=# \d a
Table "public.a"
Column | Type | Modifiers
--------+------+-----------
b | text |
c | text |
Foreign-key constraints:
"a_b_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (b, c) REFERENCES x(z, y)

k=# insert into x values ('foo', 'bar');
INSERT 0 1
k=# insert into a values ('foo', 'bar');
ERROR: insert or update on table "a" violates foreign key constraint
"a_b_fkey"
DETAIL: Key (b,c)=(foo,bar) is not present in table "x".
k=# insert into a values ('bar', 'foo');
INSERT 0 1