Re: fsutil ideas

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Peter Brant <Peter(dot)Brant(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: fsutil ideas
Date: 2006-02-24 17:24:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I'm curious as to how you monitor for total transaction time length
> > ensure that vacuum is able to do its thing, particularly when the
> > transaction is active (not IDLE).
>
> We run a database vacuum nightly and review it the next day.

Ahh.. different issues again I guess.

I have a few structures that need to be vacuumed every 10 minutes or
less. If a transaction runs longer than 20 minutes (thus effectively
disabling vacuum for 20 minutes) I run into pretty big problems.

I watch for table bloat but I haven't figured out a nice way of tracking
down the postgresql process with the oldest transaction running short of
patching PostgreSQL to report the XID for a connection in
pg_stat_activity.