Re: Reliability recommendations

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
Cc: Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reliability recommendations
Date: 2006-02-24 16:32:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 10:27, Vivek Khera wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2006, at 9:29 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Dell often says part X is included, but part X is not the exact
> > same as
> > part X sold by the original manufacturer. To hit a specific price
> > point, Dell is willing to strip thing out of commodity hardware, and
> > often does so even when performance suffers. For many people, this is
> > unacceptable.
>
> The last dell box I bought, a PE1850, came with a PERC 4e/Si card,
> which I believe is the same as the card the OP was looking at. It is
> very fast in RAID1 with two U320 disks.

My bad experiences were with the 2600 series machines. We now have some
2800 and they're much better than the 2600/2650s I've used in the past.

That said, I've not tried to do anything too high end with them, like
RAID 1+0 or anything.

My past experience has been that Intel and SuperMicro make much better
"white boxes" you can get from almost any halfway decent local
supplier. They're faster, more reliable, and the parts are easy to get.