Re: Oracle tried to buy MySQL

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: John Zubac <jzubac(at)internetsecure(dot)com>
Cc: Reid Thompson <reid(dot)thompson(at)ateb(dot)com>, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oracle tried to buy MySQL
Date: 2006-02-16 16:41:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 08:44, John Zubac wrote:
> Isn't this article false in stating that Ingres is tring to build a high end open source database package. Isn't postgres based on Ingres if I'm correct in my history lesson. And postgres IS a high end open source database package.

Not exactly. Michael Stonebraker went back to the drawing board to
address the shortcoming of Ingres, and Post-Ingres -> Postgres was
born. That code base went on to eventually become PostgreSQL.

While Ingres and Postgres(ql) are kissing cousins, and probably share or
shared a lot of similarities, they did not start from the same code
base.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Stonebraker