Re: Changing types of block and chunk sizes in memory contexts

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Melih Mutlu <m(dot)melihmutlu(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changing types of block and chunk sizes in memory contexts
Date: 2023-06-28 10:59:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Perhaps it's ok to leave the context creation functions with Size
> typed parameters and then just Assert the passed-in sizes are not
> larger than 1GB within the context creation function.

Yes, I'm strongly opposed to not using Size/size_t in the mmgr APIs.
If we go that road, we're going to have a problem when someone
inevitably wants to pass a larger-than-GB value for some context
type.

What happens in semi-private structs is a different matter, although
I'm a little dubious that shaving a couple of bytes from context
headers is a useful activity. The self-documentation argument
still has some force there, so I agree with Peter that some positive
benefit has to be shown.