Re: Fix some resources leaks (src/bin/pg_basebackup/pg_createsubscriber.c)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Euler Taveira" <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
Cc: "ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com" <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix some resources leaks (src/bin/pg_basebackup/pg_createsubscriber.c)
Date: 2024-04-01 17:52:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Euler Taveira" <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2024, at 8:50 PM, Ranier Vilela wrote:
>> Coverity has some reports in the new code
>> pg_createsubscriber.c
>> I think that Coverity is right.

> It depends on your "right" definition. If your program execution is ephemeral
> and the leak is just before exiting, do you think it's worth it?

I agree with Ranier, actually. The functions in question don't
exit() themselves, but return control to a caller that might or
might not choose to exit. I don't think they should be assuming
that an exit will happen promptly, even if that's true today.

The community Coverity run found a few additional leaks of the same
kind in that file. I pushed a merged fix for all of them.