Re: A couple items on TODO

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jeff Davis" <list-pgsql-hackers(at)dynworks(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A couple items on TODO
Date: 2001-08-24 03:12:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> I have noticed while working on command.c and heap.c that half the functions
> pass 'const char *' and the other half pass just 'char *'. This is a pain

Yeah, people have started to use 'const' in new code, but the older
stuff doesn't use it, which means that the net effect is probably
more annoyance than help. I'm afraid that if we attack this in an
incremental way, we'll end up with code that may have a lot of const
markers in the declarations, but the actual code is riddled with
explicit casts to remove const because at one time or another that
was necessary in a particular place.

Can anyone think of a way to get from here to there without either
a lot of leftover cruft, or a "big bang" massive changeover?