Re: Recovery from multi trouble

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: OKADA Satoshi <okada(dot)satoshi(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recovery from multi trouble
Date: 2005-12-22 10:53:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 17:17 +0900, OKADA Satoshi wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >OKADA Satoshi <okada(dot)satoshi(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> >

> >>The loss of log was simulated by deleting the latest xlog file.
> >>

> >What does that have to do with reality? Postgres is very careful not to
> >use an xlog file until it's been fully metadata-synced. You might as
> >well complain that PG doesn't recover after "rm -rf /" ...
> >

> In this case(postmaster abnormal end ,and log is lost), I understand
> that database cannot recover normally.
>

> Though a database cannot recover normally, postmaster does not output
> a clear message showing this situation. I think that it is a problem.

IMHO the problem is the deletion of the xlog file, not the error
message.

If you *did* lose an xlog file, would you not expect the system to come
up anyway? You're saying that you'd want the system to stay down because
of this? Would you want the system to be less available in that
circumstance?

I guess you want might a new postmaster option: "don't come up if you
are damaged". Would you really use that?

Overall, thank you for doing the durability testing. It is good to know
that you're doing that and taking the time to report any issues you see.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs