Re: client-server connection

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Ramon Orticio <rporticio(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: client-server connection
Date: 2005-12-15 11:52:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 00:34 -0800, Ramon Orticio wrote:
> dear friends,
>
> how can postgres be set up as a backend database
> server and be accessed
> by client computers. All of the computers are using
> redhat9 OS.
>
> the client computer has an application software - i'm
> planning to use gambas which has similarity to
> microsoft vb and it will access the postgres database
> from the server.
>
> can the PGDATA(var/lib/pgsql/data) file be exported
> using NFS and mounted on the client computer? how do i
> connect from the client.

You must not do that. The data directory is managed by the server
process (postmaster) using shared memory. Your application should
communicate with the server by a TCP/IP connection on port 5432 (by
default). Presumably the client library is built into gambas - if not
you will perhaps be able to use ODBC instead.

Oliver Elphick