Re: New.* and old.* as function arguments within rules

From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New.* and old.* as function arguments within rules
Date: 2005-12-04 05:28:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/03/2005 10:29:43 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Karl O. Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com> writes:
> > 2nd, nowhere have I found a NEW.* syntax (as written).

> In general, "foo.*" where foo is a visible table alias is meaningful
> anywhere that a rowtype value would be accepted. There is a special
> case at the top level of a SELECT result list, where it will be broken
> apart into a list of foo's component fields because the SQL spec says
> so.

Thanks very much. I had just started writing 'foo' because I didn't
know about 'foo.*' and it's been working so far (8.0.3) but
would _hate_ to have it break on upgrade.

This is the first time I've found the Postgres documentation to be
really lacking. I suppose there has to be a first.
(Very sorry, _wway_ to busy to write a doc patch.)

Karl <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein