Re: Running PostGre on DVD

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: "Pollard, Mike" <mpollard(at)cincom(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Running PostGre on DVD
Date: 2005-11-15 16:39:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, a bigger issue is that windows makes things a lot more difficult
> to do if you don't have admin on your account. Yes, there is runas, but
> windows doesn't exactly foster people working from the command line. And
> IIRC runas isn't nearly as nice to use as sudo.

Couldn't the installer create a handy dandy icon on the desktop with the
correct runas command to start/stop it for a given user or even have a
graphical pg_ctl type interface with Start, Stop and Restart buttons
that does the right thing behind the scenes?

On unix I get a startup script that hides the su and other logic and
safeties behind the scenes.