Re: BUG #2585: Please provide pkg-config support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Manuel A(dot) Fernandez Montecelo" <manuel(dot)montezelo(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2585: Please provide pkg-config support
Date: 2006-08-22 20:24:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

[ redirecting to pgsql-hackers since this is not a bug ]

> Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo wrote:
>> Well, I use around 10 libraries in my project, it's easier to use standardized
>> methods to gather the compiler/linker options using pkg-config than calling
>> different configuration scripts for each one,

> Just FYI, this was proposed and rejected before. pg_config is our
> method. It doesn't seem like too onerous a requeriment to change "pkg-"
> to "pg_", is it?

The previous discussion starts here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2004-08/msg00433.php

That requestor got off to an extremely bad start by presuming that
a documentation-free patch with no prior discussion would be a
sufficient way of proposing a new feature. However there are a
couple of pretty compelling points mentioned later in the thread,
particularly the issue of multiple installations on one machine.
(And does pkg-config still not distinguish CPPFLAGS from CFLAGS?)

Since that was two years ago, maybe we should take another look
and see if pkg-config has gotten better. If it hasn't evolved
some then the answer will probably be the same though.