Re: POC: converting Lists into arrays

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POC: converting Lists into arrays
Date: 2019-03-05 00:36:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 12:54, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>> Yes, I think you have a point that progress here would be good and that
>> it's worth some pain. But the names will make even less sense if we just
>> shunt in an array based approach under the already obscure list
>> API.

> If we feel strongly about fixing that then probably it would be as
> simple as renaming the functions and adding some macros with the old
> names and insisting that all new or changed code use the functions and
> not the macro wrappers.

Meh ... Neil Conway already did a round of that back in 2004 or whenever,
and I'm not especially excited about another round. I'm not really
following Andres' aversion to the list API --- it's not any more obscure
than a whole lot of things in Postgres. (Admittedly, as somebody who
dabbled in Lisp decades ago, I might be more used to it than some folks.)