Re: Starting PostgreSQL 8.0.4 with more memory [FreeBSD

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Vlad <marchenko(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Starting PostgreSQL 8.0.4 with more memory [FreeBSD
Date: 2005-10-31 18:58:22
Lists: pgsql-general

> >> Well, it comes down to a thought experiment. Any disk blocks you have in
> >> the shared buffers will also be in the system cache.
>
> > Each have different and independent cache replacement...
>
> The real point is that RAM dedicated to shared buffers can't be used for
> anything else [1], whereas letting the kernel manage it gives you some
> flexibility (for instance, to deal with transient large memory demands
> by individual backends, or from stuff unrelated to Postgres). A system
> configured to give most of RAM to shared buffers might look good on
> sufficiently narrow test cases, but its performance will be horribly
> brittle: it will go into swap thrashing on any small provocation. The
> extra 50usec or whatever to get stuff from a kernel disk buffer instead
> of our own shared buffer is a good tradeoff to get flexibility in the
> amount of stuff actually buffered at any one instant.

Agreed. But that is an argument in favour of more easily controllable
server memory management, not a definitive argument against setting
shared_ buffers higher.

> [1] unless you are on a platform where the kernel doesn't think SysV
> shared memory should be locked in RAM. In that case, what you have is a
> large arena that is subject to being swapped out ... and a disk buffer
> that's been swapped to disk is demonstrably worse than no buffer at all.
> (Hint: count the I/Os involved, especially when the page is dirty.)

This is a disaster for any database, not just PostgreSQL. But most other
DBMS do something about this, for example on Linux, Solaris, HP/UX, AIX
a certain orange DBMS provides additional support for making shared
memory non-swappable.

Have other people used lock_sga = true in Oracle? Or do we think this is
a benchmark gimmic that should never be used in production?

We would need to issue a shmctl() with SHM_LOCK, which requires enabling
the CAP_IPC_LOCK capability.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs