Re: Memory Problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Memory Problem
Date: 2008-07-02 14:48:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttmail(dot)com> writes:
> We have an IBM System x3850 machine running on RHEL 4.5 Cluster Suite
> with high-availability enabled. During a huge delete process, PostgreSQL
> (8.3.1) exhausts available memory and receives an OOM kill.

Are there any foreign keys referencing this table? If so, you're
probably running out of memory for the list of pending trigger events
(to verify that the FK constraint isn't violated by the delete).

Allowing the triggers to fire individually would take forever anyway,
so it might be best to drop the foreign key constraint(s) and then
re-establish them after the delete.