Re: BUG #1956: Plpgsql top-level DECLARE does not share

From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1956: Plpgsql top-level DECLARE does not share
Date: 2005-10-13 15:51:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 10/13/2005 09:38:36 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Fair enough. At the same time it sure would be nice if
> > plpgsql actually compiled (and parsed SQL) at
> > function definition time, even when the result is thrown away.
> > I'm building a big system and it's quite annoying
> > to get syntax errors, IIRC,
> > in code months after writing it, just because it took
> > me that long to get around to exercising a particular
> > IF statement.
>
> 8.0 has this improvement:
>
> * Do minimal syntax checking of PL/pgSQL functions at creation
> time (Tom)
> This allows us to catch simple syntax errors sooner.
>
> I assume you are running an earlier version of PostgreSQL.

I was, but switched to 8.0.2 and then 8.0.3 as soon as it came out.

Perhaps my problems are more to do with not-simple syntax errors,
or I could be recalling my experience before 8.0.x. I definately
do not recall catching any additional errors at compile time as
part of the switch to 8. Call it paranoia, I'm still not
confident. More compile time checks are better!
Gimmie!
Mine!
*Ahem*...

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I'm done with the bulk of the code
at this point but I'll keep a lookout for cases where
syntax/datatype errors crop up out of the blue.

Karl <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein