Re: postgresql clustering

From: "Daniel Duvall" <the(dot)liberal(dot)media(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql clustering
Date: 2005-09-29 00:37:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

While "clustering" in some circles may be an open-ended buzzword --
mainly the commercial DB marketing crowd -- there are concepts beneath
the bull that are even inherent in the name. However, I understand
your point.

>From what I've researched, the concepts and practices seem to fall
under one of two abstract categorizations: fail-over (ok...
high-availability), and parallel execution (high-performance... sure).
While some consider the implementation of only one of these to qualify
a cluster, others seem to demand that a "true" cluster must
implement both.

What I'm really after is a DB setup that does fail-over and parallel
execution. Your setup sounds like it would gracefully handle the
former, but cannot achieve the latter. Perhaps I'm simply asking too
much of a free software setup.

Thanks for your response.