Re: Open items list for 8.1

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open items list for 8.1
Date: 2005-09-28 22:07:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2005-28-09 at 18:35 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> The problem isn't whether or not they should be changed, the problem is
> that they were changed *during* beta AND *against* the direction that
> discussion on these changes went

I'm not sure what you mean: what is "the direction that discusson on
these changes went"? (If you're referring to "complete" vs. "total",
that hardly constitutes a change in direction.)

> ... pre-beta would have been more acceptable, but pre-feature freeze
> would have been much preferred

I think there is an argument to be made for reverting pg_cancel_backend,
since that function was released with 8.0. Personally I'm sceptical that
there are very many people using that function in scripts (particularly
using it in such a way that their scripts will break if the return type
is changed). Since we've already made the change, I don't really see the
point in reverting it, but I don't mind if someone wants to do it.

As for the other changes, I think there is absolutely no reason to
revert them. Since when is making changes to the signatures of new
functions forbidden during the beta period? AFAIK we don't make
guarantees of backward compatibility during the beta period, nor would
it be sensible to do so. We had the opportunity to fix some poor API
choices, and since an initdb was already required I think making these
changes for beta2 was quite reasonable.

-Neil