Re: Libpq support to connect to standby server as priority

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Smith, Peter" <peters(at)fast(dot)au(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Jing Wang <jingwangian(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Elvis Pranskevichus <elprans(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Libpq support to connect to standby server as priority
Date: 2021-03-03 02:07:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I've marked this as "Ready for Committer".

I've pushed this after whacking it around a fair amount. A lot of
that was cosmetic, but one thing that wasn't is that I got rid of the
proposed "which_primary_host" variable. I thought the logic around
that was way too messy and probably buggy. Even if it worked exactly
as intended, I'm dubious that the design intention was good. I think
it makes more sense just to go through the whole server list again
without the restriction to standby servers. In particular, that will
give saner results if the servers' status isn't holding still.