Status of binary protocol usage?

From: aaime74 <andrea(dot)aime(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Status of binary protocol usage?
Date: 2007-06-24 14:13:06
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,
I'm wondering what's the status of binary protocol usage patches. I've seen
7 of them
posted to the mailing list up to January 2007, and then, nothing (patches
are here:
http://mokki.dyndns.org/~mtiihone/postgresql/binarytransfer/).

I'm asking because I suspect the text protocol is biting me with slow
performance quite
a lot. I'm getting geometries out of a Postgis database. Well, guess what,
the following query:

SELECT revision, gid, encode(AsBinary(force_2d(the_geom), 'XDR'),'base64')
FROM world

happens to be 25% faster than:

SELECT revision, gid, AsBinary(force_2d(the_geom), 'XDR') FROM world

even if in the former case the backend has to do more work during the base64
encoding, and
the client has to do base64 decoding. This is sounds counter intuitive, a
profiler
informs me that quite a big of time is spent in the PGBytea.toBytes(byte[]s)
method, which
is used only if the transfer occurrs in text mode.

I have other experiences where Postgres resulted to be quite a bit slower
than other databases
when gathering big amounts of data (not necessarily geometries). I always
had the gut feeling the text protocol was to blame, but never asked... well,
now I do :)
Any chance we'll see the binary protocol used by default?