Re: Encrypted Disks

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Peter Darley <pdarley(at)kinesis-cem(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Encrypted Disks
Date: 2005-09-23 18:47:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

Well then, a loop back mounted encrypted file system should do the
trick.

Note that other methods could work as well, but not require an encrypted
file system, such as two key (public/private i.e. pki) encryption, where
the key used for encrypting could be kept on the server, and the
decryption key is kept in the client side, so that the data on the
server is also rendered useless should the server / drives get stolen.

I've found the page for encfs here:

http://arg0.net/wiki/encfs

There are other sites, but they appear fairly old, circa 1999 or so, and
based on the linux 2.2 kernel.