org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: The backend has broken the connection.

From: "salman(dot)ashraf(at)gmail(dot)com" <salman(dot)ashraf(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: The backend has broken the connection.
Date: 2005-09-20 12:30:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi

I am quite new to postgreSQL. I just need to do a simple insert
operation on a table in PGSQL database. Now the problem I am facing is:

when I am connected to the server (on which postgresql server is up and
running) remotely with the username exactly same as that of postgres
username. I can connect to the database easily and can perform any DB
operation I want to.

But whenever I try connecting to the same DB from my Java code, I get
the exception

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: The backend has broken the
connection. Possibly the action you have attempted has caused it to
close.

(thats it, no more details on the exception)

Furthermore If I try to connect to same database using some windows
client e.g EMS PG Manager, I am unable to move forward as well, 'coz
there is an error message again:

"Server closed the connection unexpectedly
This probably means server terminated abnormally
before or after the processing"

When I recheck by logging in to server remotely. PG server is running.

I have done a couple of steps,
I have given access previliges to my IP by modifying pg_hba.conf
I have set tcpip_connect=TRUE in postgresql.conf file

Now any pointers if you could guide me. I have tried to give every
detail of the problem

Regards
Salman