Re: drop if exists

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: drop if exists
Date: 2005-11-14 15:21:50
Lists: pgsql-patches

> andrew=# drop table blurflx;
> ERROR: table "blurflx" does not exist
> andrew=# drop table if exists blurflx;
> DROP TABLE

If I read MySQL's documentation correctly, they emit a NOTE (equivalent
of a NOTICE message I suppose) when IF EXISTS does nothing because the
table doesn't exist. Seems like we should do likewise --- your second
example here seems actively misleading. That is, I'd rather see

andrew=# drop table if exists blurflx;
NOTICE: table "blurflx" does not exist, skipping
DROP TABLE