Re: PL/pgSQL: EXCEPTION NOSAVEPOINT

From: Matt Miller <mattm(at)epx(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL: EXCEPTION NOSAVEPOINT
Date: 2005-09-01 22:58:38
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Matt Miller <mattm(at)epx(dot)com> writes:
> > Basically I'd like my Pl/pgSQL code to be able to utilize the try/catch
> > paradigm of error handling without the overhead of subtransactions
>
> [Pl/pgSQL] can't even do 2+2 without
> calling the main executor --- and recovering from elog(ERROR) without a
> transaction rollback is not part of the executor's contract.

Okay, so that's the crux regarding PL/pgSQL.

> You might take a look at the other PLs such as plperl

That would defeat my goal of not rewriting all my Oracle code.

If I were fool enough to plan an attack on the main executor's exception
handling to try and disarm it of its subtransaction semantics, where
would I start? Where would I end? What would I do in between? Can New
Orleans be rebuilt above sea level?

Seriously, though, I'm willing to devote considerable time to this.
Rewriting all my Oracle code function-by-function could be painful, and
I would end up dragging other people around this company into it. I'm
still trying to hold on to my fantasy that I can hack Postgres (and
contrib/ora2pg) into submission. In the end I'm hoping that the move
from Oracle will be made easier for others.