Re: pg_avd

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_avd
Date: 2003-02-19 15:11:29
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Matthew T. O'Connor writes:
>> I think it's a question of, is this solution one that we want to keep
>> for a while, or do we want a different implementation of AVD, perhaps
>> something built into the backend that could take advantage of the FSM
>> also.

> To me it seems that this would be much better if kept inside the server.

I agree, it seems like a server-side implementation would be the only
credible way to go for a production-grade version of this feature.

But I don't see anything wrong with building a client-side prototype,
which is what pg_avd looks like from here. (Unless the client is
contorted by not being able to get at things it needs.)