Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - perl embedding

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - perl embedding
Date: 2022-02-08 02:40:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
>> What is the reason behind subtracting ccdlflags?

> It looks like the coding actually originated here:
> commit f5d0c6cad5bb2706e0e63f3f8f32e431ea428100

Ah, here's the thread leading up to that:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/200106191206.f5JC6R108371%40candle.pha.pa.us

The use of ldopts rather than hand-hacked link options seems to date to
0ed7864d6, only a couple days before that. I don't think we had a
buildfarm then, but I'd bet against the problem being especially
widespread even then, or more people would've complained.

BTW, the business with zapping arch options seems to not be necessary
anymore either on recent macOS:

$ perl -MExtUtils::Embed -e ldopts
-fstack-protector-strong -L/System/Library/Perl/5.30/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE -lperl
$ perl -MConfig -e 'print $Config{ccdlflags}'
$

(same results on either Intel or ARM Mac). However, it looks like it
is still necessary to keep locust happy, and I have no idea just when
Apple stopped using arch switches here, so we'd better keep that.