PostgreSQL & MySQL DBA in Los Angeles, CA

From: Charles Swank <charles(dot)swank(at)hypermediasystems(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL & MySQL DBA in Los Angeles, CA
Date: 2005-08-24 00:19:20
Lists: pgsql-jobs

Title: PostgreSQL/MySQL DBA
Skills: PostgreSQL / MySQL
Date: 8-9-2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Pay rate: DOE
Length: Full-time

Hypermedia Systems , Inc. is a premier developer of Internet solutions.
We specialize in Video Chat, Rich Media and eCommerce systems utilizing
cutting-edge technology and advanced development techniques. Our primary
business targets are the Japanese and other Asian markets. Hypermedia
Systems , Inc. was founded in 2003 and is headquartered in downtown Los
Angeles. We offer an exciting fast-paced environment with many
challenging projects. We are large enough to provide a stable work
environment, yet small enough to present many opportunities for growth
and advancement.

The candidate will be responsible for deployment and maintenance of
PostgreSQL/MySQL Databases and data backup and recovery in a 24/7
environment. Specific responsibilities include, but not limited to,
configuration, integration, disaster recovery, and on-call duties. In
addition, while under the management of the Database department, this
hands-on position will work closely with software engineers and
developers. The position also includes monitoring, diagnosing, and
optimizing database performance. The DBA will also assist in developing,
implementing, and maintaining policies and procedures. Other
responsibilities include documenting database architecture and ensuring
the security and integrity of the databases. They will implement data
models, database designs, data access, table maintenance, and code
changes.

Required Skills
* 4+ years of PostgreSQL/MySQL databases
* Performance tuning PostgreSQL/MySQL
* Assist development teams in optimizing for PostgreSQL/MySQL
* PostgreSQL/MySQL backup and restore
* Designing and managing PostgreSQL/MySQL database schemas
* Experience in security access control
* Full project life cycle experience
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Highly motivated, able to work both in a team and solo
* Must be able to meet deadlines and work well under pressure

Desirable Skills
* PL/SQL knowledge is a plus
* Experience setting up and using PostgreSQL/MySQL replication is a big
plus
* Basic Unix/Linux admin experience
* Oracle database experience is a plus
* Any programming skills including Java, Perl, Unix scripting
* Spoken and written Japanese skills

Travel is not a requirement for this position and telecommuting is not
offered

For more information contact:
Terri Fernandez
Hypermedia Systems , Inc