Re: Sleep functions

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sleep functions
Date: 2005-08-22 14:48:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 08:14, John DeSoi wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2005, at 12:40 AM, Michael Fuhr wrote:
>
> > To others who've written their own sleep() function: what are you
> > using it for?
>

> I need it for API and user interface testing. I want to be sure
> things behave correctly when a long running query is interrupted.

I know I've used one for a script that reindexes various tables on an
old 7.3 server. I put a sleep of 20 seconds between reindexes to let
built up transactions have a few moments to catch up, thereby smoothing
out i/o. For a long time I used a cpu hogging plpgsql version (since I
had cpu to spare) until I switched to a better pltcl version. If a
server side one existed I would certainly have used that.

Robert Treat