Re: Need for speed

From: "Jeffrey W(dot) Baker" <jwbaker(at)acm(dot)org>
To: Ulrich Wisser <ulrich(dot)wisser(at)relevanttraffic(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need for speed
Date: 2005-08-17 16:49:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 11:15 +0200, Ulrich Wisser wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thanks for all your suggestions.
>
> I can see that the Linux system is 90% waiting for disc io. At that time
> all my queries are *very* slow. My scsi raid controller and disc are
> already the fastest available.

What RAID controller? Initially you said you have only 2 disks, and
since you have your xlog on a separate spindle, I assume you have 1 disk
for the xlog and 1 for the data. Even so, if you have a RAID, I'm going
to further assume you are using RAID 1, since no sane person would use
RAID 0. In those cases you are getting the performance of a single
disk, which is never going to be very impressive. You need a RAID.

Please be more precise when describing your system to this list.

-jwb