Re: Per-Database Roles

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Per-Database Roles
Date: 2012-05-26 04:18:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
>> Eh? Why would the presence of usernames in pg_hba.conf mean that they
>> have to be global objects?

> I havn't had a chance (yet) to look, but perhaps the current code
> attempts to validate the role before figuring out what database is being
> requested? We'd have to essentially invert that, of course, for this..

Even more to the point, what do you do when the "database" column is
"all", or a list of more than one database name?

It's possible that we could define this away by saying that only
globally known usernames can be listed in pg_hba.conf, but I think
we'll still have implementation problems with doing authentication
for per-database usernames.