Help With complex join

From: spinto(at)virtualslo(dot)com
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help With complex join
Date: 2005-07-14 21:34:02
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all, got a question as how to approach a somewhat complicated join
query. The deal is I have three tables called attorney, lawOffice, and
law_office_employment. The attorney and lawOffice tables hold attorney
and lawOffice information respectively (obviously). The
law_office_employment table is meant to show historical periods of time
for which the attorney's worked for the different lawOffices. Here is
the create table statement for law_office_employment:

/*==============================================================*/
/* Table: LAW_OFFICE_EMPLOYMENT */
/*==============================================================*/
create table LAW_OFFICE_EMPLOYMENT (
ATTORNEYID IDENTIFIER not null,
LAWOFFICEID IDENTIFIER not null,
STARTDATE DATE not null,
constraint PK_LAW_OFFICE_EMPLOYMENT primary key (ATTORNEYID,
LAWOFFICEID, STARTDATE)
);

/*==============================================================*/
/* Index: LAW_OFFICE_EMPLOYMENT_PK */
/*==============================================================*/
create unique index LAW_OFFICE_EMPLOYMENT_PK on LAW_OFFICE_EMPLOYMENT (
ATTORNEYID,
LAWOFFICEID,
STARTDATE
);

/*==============================================================*/
/* Index: RELATION_46_FK */
/*==============================================================*/
create index RELATION_46_FK on LAW_OFFICE_EMPLOYMENT (
ATTORNEYID
);

/*==============================================================*/
/* Index: RELATION_48_FK */
/*==============================================================*/
create index RELATION_48_FK on LAW_OFFICE_EMPLOYMENT (
LAWOFFICEID
);

alter table LAW_OFFICE_EMPLOYMENT
add constraint FK_LAW_OFFI_RELATION__ATTORNEY foreign key
(ATTORNEYID)
references ATTORNEY (ATTORNEYID)
on delete restrict on update restrict;

alter table LAW_OFFICE_EMPLOYMENT
add constraint FK_LAW_OFFI_RELATION__LAW_OFFI foreign key
(LAWOFFICEID)
references LAWOFFICE (LAWOFFICEID)
on delete restrict on update restrict;

I can populate the law_office_employment so that it looks like this:

attorneyid | lawofficeid | startdate
------------+-------------+------------
1 | 1 | 2002-01-01
1 | 2 | 2002-02-01
1 | 1 | 2002-03-01
1 | 3 | 2002-04-01

My question is how to make a query that will display the PERIODS of
time for which an attorney worked for a particular office based on the
attorney then changing to a new law office and having the endDate of
the previous employment be the startDate of the new employment. I know
it sounds confusing but as an example I will show you what I would want
the query to return based on the information populated above.

attorneyid | lawofficeid | startdate | enddate
1 | 1 | 2002-01-01 | 2002-02-01
1 | 2 | 2002-02-01 | 2002-03-01
1 | 1 | 2002-03-01 | 2002-04-01
1 | 3 | 2002-04-01 | Present

I am pretty sure it involves joining the table with itself to cet the
cartesian product of all of the rows but I am at a loss for how to
construct the interval logic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean Pinto