Re: Mount database on RAM disk?

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mount database on RAM disk?
Date: 2005-07-08 14:03:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

> If I could get and deploy some SSD (Solid State Disk) devices that
> would make this sort of thing *actually safe,* I'd expect that to be a
> pretty fabulous improvement, at least for write-heavy database
> activity.

Not nearly as much as you would expect. For the price of the SSD and a
SCSI controller capable of keeping up to the SSD along with your regular
storage with enough throughput to keep up to structure IO, you can
purchase a pretty good mid-range SAN which will be just as capable and
much more versatile.